Monday, March 30, 2009

We're back!

Okay, it's been forever since I posted. Guess I've failed at that New Year's resolution!!

We've been up to a lot in the last two months. We've shopped at the flea market most Saturdays, I've gone to Washington D.C. for conferences twice, we've made new friends and had dinners with them - including going to a wine tasting party, we've visited old friends (hi Kim!!!!!!), and last but not least we went to Oklahoma to spend spring break with the kids.

Lots has happened but for this first post I thought I'd share two quick stories with you...

First: Brad was going to go home for spring break while I had a big project to turn in. Because of world events and the new presidency, they delayed the due date on my big project from 24 March until 14 May; my boss asked me if I still wanted to take the leave I had originally put in for and I thought - what the heck, can't hurt to look. So on Monday, mid March, three days before Brad flew out, I went online to delta.com and looked at plane tickets - to fly on Friday, round trip to Dallas was $414.00, let me type that again: $414.00 - three days before my trip!!!!! Anyways, I thought that it was a sign I needed to go with Brad so I leaped at the ticket and off we went!

The second story is just something ridiculous I heard as I was getting off the plane in Atlanta - I had the two most naive or idiotic couples ahead of me on the plane. The first couple said - we're going to miss our connection - surely they'll save the plane for us, they have to know we're here!
The second couple, as we walked off the plane, said - go run over and tell her to call our next gate so they know we're coming and wait for us... Maybe 30 years ago when flying was a rare thing, but in today's climate where planes have tight budgets and schedules, and there is no penalty to the airline if you miss the connection - they'll leave you in an instant. One time, I ran to my next gate, getting there five minutes before scheduled departure time to be told "Sorry, we've already closed the flight, you'll have to talk to a ticketing agent and get rebooked". I was IN TIME! Not late like these two foolish couples!!!! Urgh - airlines!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there, I chanced upon your website while surfing for stuff to do in Stuttgart. This isn't really related to the current post per se, but the picture of the restaurant shown on the right with the caption "Nikki and Brad's 8th Anniversary dinner 24 June 2008" looks nice. May I ask if this restaurant is in the downtown area? And if possible could you share the address?

Cheers

Nikki said...

The restaurant is not far from downtown - it's right by Robinson Barracks. It's above a vineyard. I don't remember the name or even the road it's on, but if you can find Robinson Barracks, it's the closest easting establishment from the front gate.