March 23, I took the night train from Stuttgart to Amsterdam to join Brad. His flight came in at 8:00 a.m. and my train arrived at 9:25 so we met at the main train station. Of course, technology prevented us from making our linking up flawless because his phone wasn't working. When I didn't find him after one walk through the train station, I headed to Starbucks to get a coffee so I could stand in one spot, drink a coffee, and wait for him to find me. Of course, as I pick up my coffee, he walks by. After I catch his attention he gives me that look - the one that says 'I should have known to look for you in Starbucks'... It was 9:50 in the morning and we had until 8:31 the next night to see Amsterdam and the Netherlands! Here is a picture of Central Station - note that it's not a clock you see here, but a wind direction indicator.
We went to the tourist office and got the tourist discount card "I amsterdam", which gets you into most of the museums and includes a 48 hour light rail pass. We then went to the hotel, checked our bags, freshened up, and headed out. We stayed at the Amsterdam Hilton, using my Hilton points from all my business trips. I had wanted to use the points when we traveled to Amsterdam to send off Brad and the dogs, but none of the Hilton's allow pets, so we used them this time. Since I'm a Hilton Gold member, compliments of my monthly trips, we got a room with a great view. Here's the view from our hotel window, looking down on a canal.
The Hilton is in the background here.
We headed out from the hotel, got lunch at a small cafe, and walked to museum square. Here we saw the Van Gogh Museum, and the Rijksmusuem Amsterdam, which has in its collection many paintings by Dutch masters, including by far the best painter - Rembrandt. Both Brad and I really like Rembrandt and how he and his peers captured realism in their paintings, including a fabulous use of light. Van Gogh, and the paintings similar to his shown in the Van Gogh museum had far less interest to us. While it was cool to recognize paintings, none of this more surreal art really spoke to us. We were both very disappointed that the Rijksmuseum is undergoing a huge renovation thus a very small part of their collection was displayed.
Most of the buildings in Amsterdam are four to five stories high or higher. Like any large city, people are all packed in closely and as I said in another blog last week, the bicycle is the main form of transport here. One neat thing is the buildings all seem to lean out. This is deliberate since the buildings are so narrow, they have these large hooks at the roof level, where you can use block and tackle to lift your household goods inside - you would never be able to get stuff up the stairwells. These hooks can be seen on buildings throughout the ceiling, and the outward leaning keeps you from bouncing things off the wall as you raise stuff up.
The next day, we spent the morning and early afternoon at Keukenhof (see Part II of this blog). In the afternoon we saw a few more museums - the Nieuwe Kerk (the New Church), the Anne Frank House, and the Tulip Museum. I don't know if we were in a negative mood but none of these museums really satisfied us. The New Church, even though built in the 1400's, had so much stuff in it turning it into a museum that it no longer felt like a church nor could you really see the church itself for all the lights and displays inside. The Anne Frank House was interesting in that it is intact from when they hid out here in the 40's, including still having the pictures she'd pasted on the walls, but for the cost they really didn't tell the story very well and none of the rooms had furniture in them so you really didn't get a feel for how tight the quarters were. It does inspire me to want to read her diary again now that I have a whole different perspective than I had years ago when I first read it. And the tulip museum was ONE ROOM! What a rip. If it hadn't been free with our Amsterdam tourist pass we would have been really angry! The only thing I got out of the Tulip Museum was regrets that I couldn't buy some tulip bulbs from the store in the other room (of the two rooms making this place up, the sales room was bigger), and that tulip speculation caused a financial collapse in the 1600's.
We then tried to go to a flea market, but got there as they were putting everything away :-( Heading back to the hotel we got our bags (we'd checked them with the hotel) and headed to the train station for our night train back to Stuttgart.
Altogether it was a beautiful and fun two days. Brad repeatedly stated he'd come back to Amsterdam again if he is given a chance.
This picture shows the locks to the ocean that are opened to let water in or out.
No comments:
Post a Comment