Wednesday, October 13, 2010
New England Part 1
I'm still catching up on some of our recent travels - my apologies for posting blogs out of order :-)
After Command Leadership School ended, Brad and I took a week of vacation to travel around the North East during the first full week of September. We went to New Hampshire camping, Maine to Acadia National Park, and to Massachusetts where we attended the largest antique fair in the world, before we headed down to New Jersey to pick up my car. Believe it or not, New Jersey is the furthest north location on the east coast to ship a vehicle from or to when traveling overseas. In Europe, they deliver the car to your base. In the US, they expect you to travel hundreds of miles to bring (or pick up) your car with them. Since this involves a trip through New York City, it guarantees you travel at unusual times or you'll be in traffic.
The antique fair in Brimfield, Mass happens three times a year and lasts for a week. Brad and I went to it on Thursday and spent a full day there from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and probably only walked 15% of the stalls. By the end of the day I called Mercy, though I think Brad still wanted to keep going. We did pick up a couple things (a plane, some rulers, some files, a magnifying glass, some knitting needles...), but eyeballed a whole lot more. Even now I'm still mildly regretting not buying that corner chair that was such a good deal...
Since the hotels book up months in advance in the area, we camped out at Wells State Park, camping by the lake. Unfortunately the idyll was somewhat disrupted by the highway on the other side of the lake with truck drivers using their jake brakes - why they'd need these heavy duty brakes when the road is flat there, I'll never know...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment