Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thoughts about Newport

While we still have a month left in Newport while I attend Prospective Commanding Officer (PCO) courses, I thought it was worth writing about some of the things I'll remember from our time here.

- Brad (and me once) flying acrobatic kites in the summer right at the Atlantic at Ocean Drive State Park.  Every afternoon the winds start blowing in from the water giving you perfect kite flying conditions.  Several people go to this park every day to fly their kites and enjoy the weather.

- Staying in three different places: the Newport Chalet - while upgraded is still an overpriced, small hotel room that smells funny; Building 447 BOQ - two rooms and a kitchen, nice enough buy across the water from Surface Warfare Officers School and the bed was so little we had to sleep touching and Brad's feet hung off the end; and finally Building 172 BOQ, just across the  parking lot from SWOS, bigger tvs, bigger bed (queen sized!), bigger rooms and convenient location.  Though it was funny when we switched to this room, Brad did it while I was on shipride in San Diego - I had suggested he see if there were any rooms with bigger beds that also had stovetops.  The BOQ desk let him check out this room and we decided to move.  Brad moves all our stuff by himself (big pain in the behind), and settles in.  The next day, as I'm getting off the airplane I get a text from Brad: "I don't know how I missed it, but there's no stove in this room."  Since a lack of a stove means the room only comes with a fridge and microwave, your cooking is really limited.  We improvised though, getting a hot plate for the room.  The best part of this room is the view - we look right out on Coaster's Harbor across Perry Rd bridge and Weenachasett bridge.  

- Toaster Ovens are awesome, I don't know how we went so long without one.  Not only can you make toast, but you can cook pizza, pizza rolls, garlic toast, etc. etc. without having to wait for the oven to warm up so you're done in less than half the time and the room isn't heated.  If you don't have one - GET ONE!

- Last night (and the inspiration for this blog), we went out to dinner for Newport Restaurant Week to the White Horse Tavern.  It was nice to get all dressed out an go on a date, eating a very nice three course meal with the addition of a cheese plate and a bottle of wine, for about 40% less than usual.  Excellent food - my favorites part was the cheese plate and the butternut bisque (I also had Chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, asparagus, and bread pudding for dessert).  Brad had ceasar salad, pork, butternut puree, asparagus, and the richest ever White and Chocolate Mousse.  All perfectly matched with a bottle of excellent Riesling.  And the ambiance - the White Horse Tavern was originally constructed as a house in 1652, then converted to a tavern in 1673.  Easily one of America's oldest taverns.  We ate upstairs, right next to a real fire in the fireplace.

- Going off and traveling the North East with Rhode Island as a base of operations.

- Checking out antique stores, flea markets, and estate sales.

- Watching the new series The Walking Dead on AMC.  About time a zombie tv show came out!

- Polishing rocks.

No comments: