Sunday, April 5, 2009

Luxembourg

Saturday, April 4, Brad and I heard about a large flea market/antique sale in Metz, France from some of the people I work with. Never one to turn down a shopping venture of this sort, yet reluctant to put the dogs in the kennel again, we decided to drive up early (it's a little less than 3 hours away from Stuttgart). We woke at 4:30 and we were on the road by 5:00. Everything was going well, we made good time, didn't run into much traffic, had plenty of gas and a beautiful day, but when we got to the location the GPS had led us to (the Parc des Expositions in Metz, France is what we'd entered), there was no antique sale to be found - just a live reptile exhibit. Add to that some motorcyclists running a course that asked us to move our car out of the parking lot we were in (we were in their way) and we were both completely baffled. So I messed with the GPS some more and found out the stupid thing had brought us to Nancy, France instead of Metz, France and we were 40 minutes south of our destination! Dang it!! Since they were both the same distance from Stuttgart, we were clueless until we arrived! We ended up getting to the antique sale at 9:00 instead of 8:00! At the market, we we looking for two things - some cast iron pans and a wooden box - and we found both and for good deals. We looked at lots of other things, but everything was more expensive than we were willing to pay for something that was not quite right for our tastes. I imagine now, you're all wondering - what the heck does this have to do with Luxembourg?? Well..... after we left the sale (at about 11:30), I looked over the map for something cool to see, and noticed we were only about 45 minutes south of Luxembourg - the country as well as the capitol city, so I twisted Brad's arm and we headed there for lunch and some sightseeing. It was a beautiful day for it, in the 60's and sunny. The top picture is a self-portrait with the aqueduct in the background. Behind Brad in the second picture you can see some of the ruins of the walls We walked around and looked at the old buildings, looked over the old ruins of the city walls (down below in these pictures), checked out some old roman aqueducts, and ate a wonderful lunch of pizza and pasta. I was enjoying it because everyone was speaking french so I could understand things again, plus another gorgeous day walking around is never to be missed!

No comments: