Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Hell Hole Rant

Last week, I went to Norfolk to attend a conference at Joint Forces Command. My boss picked out the hotel and I learned one very valuable lesson. Never let him pick the hotel again!

He chose the Quality Inn, it's just across the street from JFCOM. The only "good" qualities were the location and the continental breakfast (even that wasn't spectacular).

The bad things:
1. my room smelled bad
2. there were ants everywhere in the room and in the parking lot - the actually got into the car at one point
3. we were paying the gov't room rate. I could have stayed at a $200 a night, really nice Westin or Marriott for the same price. Instead of a $65/night place where we were spending $94 a night.
4. The area of town is really crappy - I wanted to go running, but no way was I going alone along that road
5. There was no workout room
6. The doors opened onto the parking lot (safety again)
7. You had to let the phone ring 15-20 times before the front desk would answer it
8. The internet was out for the first night, thus to tell Brad I got there safely I had to call him, and was charged $30 for 2 minutes!!


If I'd been staying alone, instead of sharing a rental car with 2 other people, I would have bailed in an instant and gone and found another place! I could rant about how much it sucks to share a car between 3 people who aren't friends and have no common interests, but I'll save that for another day!

No comments: